ART 414: Graphic Design Practicum
Tuesday, May 14
- 1:30 Cassidie
- 2:00 Samantha R
- 2:15 Ceseley
- 2:30 Alex
- 2:45 Carly
- 3:00 Ally
- 3:15 Break
- 3:30 Frank
- 3:45 Matt
- 4:00 Ian
- 4:15 Bharati
- 4:30 Sam F
Wednesday, May 15
- 2:00 Marina
- 2:15 Dalton
- 2:30 Stephanie
- 2:45 Jasmine
- 3:00 Dominique
- 3:15 Kim
- 3:30 Break
- 3:45 Alyssa
- 4:00 Hannah
- Final presentations
- Prepare for interviews:
- Set up Skype account if scheduled for a remote interview and practice using, sharing screen, and using the chat window. Do a sound check. Set up a professional looking background.
- Email your interviewer (TODAY, Wednesday, May 8) to confirm date (Monday, May 13) and time of interview. In that email introduce yourself, your professional goals (what kind of job you are looking for), share the URL to your online portfolio and/or attach your PDF portfolio, share your Skype username (if doing a remote interview), and attach your resume. You are required to CC me on any correspondence with your interviewer.
- Dress professionally for you interview.
- If interviewing in person, remember to bring something to show that is physical.
- May 13 at 2PM: Performance Review submitted via Google Drive and printed version submitted in my mailbox outside of 32 Lanigan.
- May 13 at Scheduled Time: Practice Interview with Alumni
- May 14 or May 15: Final one-on-one meeting with Rebecca in 32 Lanigan.
- May 14: Email a thank you note to your interviewer (and cc me to receive credit). This must be done prior to your one-on-one meeting with me.
- Samantha F.
- Samantha R.
- Submit professional printed packages
- Sign-up for presentation slot
- Accessibility Challenge
- Professional Practices Challenge
- Presentation (May 6 and 8): Plan on making a 7–8min professionally designed presentation (submit at PDF) highlighting the new work and revisions you made as part of 414 (the work you share cannot be work that you are getting credit for in another course). Showing your process book is not appropriate.
- New work should include an overview of the design problem and intended audience. Show your process. Show ideation, prototypes, iteration, color studies, etc. Highlight key decisions you made and why you made them. Be sure to connect you decision-making back to the design problem and your intended audience. Your slides should be the visual support for the story you are telling. Most slides will not need more than a heading and image(s).
- Revised work should include a before and after image. Please make sure you indicate what the brief is (it is ok if you revised it for the purposes of your portfolio). Point out the changes you made and explain why you made those changes.
- Design Notebook of Project Revisions/New Work (Due May 6, submit PDF and packaged InDesign files). Details of what to include are in the class syllabus.
- Performance Review (Due May 13 at 2pm, drop off a printed copy in Rebecca’s mailbox and submit PDF on Google Drive).
- Practice Interview (May 13 and May 14). Sign-ups will be on May 6.
- Debrief Meeting with Rebecca (sign up for a date/time during finals week after your interview)
Due to the length of our workshop last class, there is an extensive number of students in need of critique today. To facilitate timely feedback for all we will spend the first hour of class in our individual creative groups. Please divide up the hour evenly between your group members (use a timer).
- Creative Groups: 1 hour of critique (2pm – 3pm)
- 5 Minute consultations/critique with Rebecca for those who had signed up for critique with her last Wednesday or today (3pm – 5pm)
Homework (Due May 1)
- Professional Package (updated files and prints) and accompanying design notebook
- Portfolio (web and PDF)
- Applying for a job evidence
- Professional development
- 2pm Visiting Graphic Designer
- 3pm CNY Compete Practice Presentation
- Sign-up for critique times
- What is a portfolio template? Includes: hierarchy, key repeating content blocks, consistent metadata, consistent formatting (including typesetting and whitespace), etc. Examples: The Lab, Adjacent, Pinckney Hugo, Mower, Digital Hyve.
- 4pm work time
- Work on portfolio templates. Plan to receive feedback no later than April 8.
- Using LinkedIn to network and find/apply for jobs.
- Check in with Rebecca about work plan
- Work on LinkedIn profile
- Start sketches on portfolio layout (both web portfolio and PDF portfolio).
- Silouette Demo @ 3 in 33
- Photography Demo at 3:30 in 33
- Discuss work plans
- Work on items in your work plan. Add in a plan for designing the portfolio itself.
- Identity package visual design challenge
- Identity package pre-press file challenge
- Creative Brief Feedback
- BA Show Meeting
- Work Plan
- Revise Identity package files
- Finish work plan
For Next Class
Don’t let canceled classes put you behind schedule. Today was designated as a work day and should still be used as such wherever you are. Your identity package (resume and cover letter on letterhead, thank you card with envelope, business cards, and promotional item) with your design notebook are all due a week from today.
On Thursday you will meet in critique groups to review files and look at the typesetting of the résumés and cover letters (remember to bring printed copies to class—ideally, one per group member). Prepare for that review by making sure you are appropriately using paragraph/character styles and master pages in InDesign. Double-check the following:
- The line-length of the text should not be more than 75 characters. Adjust the margins on your letterhead accordingly.
- The résumé should be easy to skim by making the hierarchy clear and consistent.
- Appropriate capitalization and punctuation should throughout your documents.
Next class we will also start discussing the requirements of a professional portfolio.
- What are you planning for your professional development activity?
- Time Management and Time Keeping (calendars and time trackers like Toggl)
- Critique of Identity Packages
- Continue revising and working on Identity Packages
- Identity Packages
- Who are your top 5 design inspirations? Create a short slide deck with each designer and a couple of samples of their work. Include notes on why they inspire you. Be prepared to share with your team on Monday.
- Critique on Identity packages (minimally logo, business card and stationery). Be sure to have prints cut to size.
- Remember to keep your design notebooks up to date.
- Printer training for group leaders.
- Read creative briefs of team members.
- Prepare for critique if you did not critique today (see above).
- Review Creative Briefs with Team
- Sign up for critique on identity next week
- Rebecca reviews résumés and cover letters
- Complete Creative Brief assignment.
- Prepare for identity critique
- Continue working on Creative Brief (due Monday)
- Prepare for critique next week
- Finish portfolio reviews
- Interviews (as necessary) with Creative Group Managers
- Creative Groups announced
- Creative Group Challenge (1 hour): Brand your team (a winning team will be chosen based on clarity of presentation, professionalism, and ability to perform under pressure.
- Name your group (remember that this might end up on your résumé)
- Create logo for the group.
- Create a 5 minute pitch/presentation introducing each membr of the team and what your team has to offer a potential client/employer.
- Read chapter 5
- Read Ten Common Mistakes in Résumés and Cover Letters
- Draft Résumé and Cover Letters (content only). Use Career Service’s Résumé Writing Guide and Cover Letter Writing Guide for tips on content and strategy. Use the College Art Association’s Guidelines for an Artist CV for guidance on formatting and organization of categories on a résumé unique to the visual arts (like exhibitions).
- Introduce Identity Package Assignment
- Check semester folders
- Creative Team Leaders present
- Continue Portfolio Reviews with Rebecca
- Email letters of interest to two creative groups by 11:59pm tonight (2/4). Remember to copy Rebecca on those emails.
- Read chapters 3 & 4
- Continue to work on creative briefs
- Questions about syllabus and Creative Brief
- Announcement of Creative Group Managers
- Portfolio Reviews
- Continue working on Creative Brief.
- Read Chapters 1 & 2 in Textbook.
- Create Google Drive folder for the class as per the syllabus