Snow day: class is canceled.
- Join our Slack group and get familiar with Slack! There are some great getting started tutorials on their website.
- Make sure you’ve created your Google Drive folder and shared it with me as per the instructions in your syllabus.
- Continue working on Exercise 1
- On your computer make a folder called Exercise 1.
- Download and install Brackets (a free text/code editor) on your computer.
- In Brackets go to File > New
- In Brackets go to File > Save As and save the file as index.html in your Exercise 1 folder.
- Follow your notes from class on Tuesday to create the basic HTML page for Exercise 1. The only thing that will be different is the heading and paragraph text that you include.
- Use the sideways lightning bolt icon in the top right hand corner of the application (the live preview button) to see your webpage in a browser. Make sure the content you expect to show up does.
- Remember to save and save often!
- When you are done go the the HTML Validator in your web browser (I recommend using Chrome, do not use Safari). Click on the “Validate by File Upload” tab at the top.
- Use the choose file button to find your index.html file on your computer, then click “check”
- If you don’t have any errors or warnings you are all set. If you have errors or warnings pay attention to what line number those errors/warnings are on and go back into brackets to see if you can figure out what is not working. If you can’t figure it out, take note of what the error is and ask about it in class on Tuesday!
- Back up your exercise 1 folder to an external hard drive and upload it to your folder for this class on Google Drive.
- Read Chapters 1 & 2 in Better Web Type, Copyright Basics (Circ. 1), and Teaching Copyright: Public Domain Frequently Asked Questions